Iouzan Muryoujyuin Yakuoji

Temple 23

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Yakuoji Temple for everyone’s year of sickness
Do not give the medicine of lapis lazuli stones

Yugitou

A tower 29 meters high. A single tower with a square at the top and a cylindrical shape at the bottom. Based on the teachings of Yugikyo, which explains the harmony between heaven and earth, five pillars stand on the roof. * Image 1

Yakuzaka offering

It is said that if you visit while offering a tithe, your hardships that come down will fall. * Image 2

History and origin of Yakuoji

The last sacred place in Awa, known as the “Hosshin no Dojo” (Dojo of Awakening). It is also an exceptional main mountain of the Koyasan Shingon sect. It is famous throughout the country as an temple to exorcise bad karma, and the first stone steps to the main hall after crossing “Yaku Yokebashi” are 33 steps called “Onnazaka”, followed by steep stone steps “Otokozaka” There are 42 steps, and the main hall to the “Kashiwa Tower” consists of 61 steps called the “60th Birthday Danger” for men and women. Underneath each stone step is a pebbles with the text of “Yakushi Hongan” (Vow of Yakushi Nyorai) written on it, and the worshipers can see the sight of placing money on every step. According to Engi, Gyoki founded the temple at the request of Emperor Shoumu (reign 724-49). In 815, when Kobo Daishi was 42 years old, he prayed for the good luck for himself and all people, and carved the statue of the medicine Buddha, Nyorai, and made it the main deity, making it a basic prayer temple for good luck. The Daishi performed the excellence of the exorcism of bad luck to the third generations of, Emperor Heijo, Emperor Tsuji, and Emperor Junwa.

In 1188, the buildings were burned down, but at this time, the main deity in the Honzon flew away with light and escaped to the Okuin Temple, Tamakushiyama. Later, when Emperor Gojo rebuilt the temple and opened the new Yakushi Nyorai statue, it was reported that it had returned to the Honzon in the light and entered backwards. Since then, it has been a secret Buddha as a “rear-facing medicine Buddha”. In the grounds, there is a monument that appeared in Eiji Yoshikawa’s “Naruto Secret” and Shintaro Shintaro’s “Kukai’s Landscape”.

The highlights of Yakuoji

Yugito, Nakizaka’s monks, Lung Daishi (It is on the left side of the main hall. It is said to be effective in various diseases such as lung disease.

Annual events at Yakuoji

  • New Year’s First Prayer・・・January 1-3
  • etsubun Star・・・February 3
  • Announcing the opening ceremony ・・・February 11-12
  • Kankai・・・February 15
  • Shakuson Flower Festival・・・April 8
  • Masakage no Oki ・・・April 21
  • Summer party・・・Old calendar: May eve
  • Kobo Daishi Nativity Party・・・ June 15
  • Sanran Bon Festival ・・・August 13-16
  • Gourmet Devil Party・・・August 16
  • Summer party ・・・Old calendar: May eve
  • National Guard Festival ・・・October 15
  • New Year’s Eve Festival・・・New Year’s Eve
  • Honson Monthly Meeting・・・12th of every month

Temple 23 Fudasho: Iouzan Muryoujyuin Yakuouji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Evil exorcist Nyorai (Denkoho Daishi)
Pioneer
Gyoki
Founding
Jinki era 3rd year (726)
Mantra
On korokoro sendari matōgi sowaka

Access

Location
Okugawauchi 285-1, Minami-cho, Kaifu-gun, Tokushima 779-2305
Tel
0884-77-0023
Parking
Normal / 350 cars / Microbus, Large / 10 cars (7am-5pm, free)
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
Yes (Reservation phone:0884-77-1138
Website
https://yakuouji.net/
Social media
facebook

⇒ Google map

Boyouzan Houjyuin Onzanji

Temple 18

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Onsan-ji, temple for parents with children
A new thing to visit

The carving of Tamayori Gozen, Daishi’s mother

In front of Daishido. There is a monument and a small hall of “Daishi Mother’s Carving Place”. In addition, “Mother’s statue”, which is said to be a master’s work, locks of Daishi’s mother’s hair is enshrined. * Image 1

Kobo Daishi statue

It is a statue carved by Daishi himself and is now regarded as the principle deity of the Daishido. * Image 2

History and origin of Onzanji

Located in a scenic area designated by the prefecture, where the forest of a small mountain on the outskirts of Komatsushima provides pastoral views. Following the auspicious occasion, the founding of Gyoki Bodhisattva was made by the edict of Emperor Shoumu (reigned 724-49), was created by Gyoki Bodhisattva, and called “Dainichi Yamafukuseiin Mitsugenji”. Gyoki Bodhisattva carved a statue of Yakushi Nyorai as the main statue, as the deity to save people from plague and calamity. Women were not allowed to enter and could only go as far as the hill called “Hanaorizaka”, which descended toward the nineteenth sacred place. It is said that when Kobo Daishi was practicing at this temple during the Enryaku period (782–806) the Daishi’s mother, Tamayori, visited from Zentsuji in Sanuki. However, the temple was forbidden to women, and the Daishi was able to welcome her within through 7 days of esoteric ritual near the temple gate, and the ban on women was dissolved.
Soon after, Daishi’s mother shaved her head and dedicated her hair to the temple, so the Daishi changed the name of the Yamagouji Temple to “Mother Yozan Onzanji”, engraved and image of her and enshrined both, “My wish is late in life but I want to take away the troubles of the souls of the less fortunate”. It is said that came about in 814, the 5th year of the Kōnin era.
Although the temple was burned down by the “Tensho Wars”, it prospered under the protection of the Lord Awa in the Edo period. It is a venerable building erected around this time. On the grounds, there is a small shrine dedicated to Tamari-gozen, and after welcoming his mother, there is a tree which was planted by the master, “Biranju” which is also a natural monument of the prefecture. The spirit of the Daishi who longed for his mother is the theme of this temple that still continues to this day.

The highlights of Onsanji

Tayori-mae’s carving place, Kobo Daishi statue, “Yoshitsune’s Disembarkation” stone monument (Bronze statue where Yoshitsune draws a bow at a nearby shrine)

Annual events at Onsanji

Goma prayer
Date: 1st, 12th, 20th of every month
Okunoin Kinenbenten Tenchien
Date: The day of self-containment (Tsuchino Tominohi, if you worship on this day, it is said that the wealth is provided)

Temple 18 Fudasho: Boyouzan Houjyuin Onzanji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Yakushi Nyorai
Pioneer
Gyoki
Founding
Tenpyō era (729-749)
Mantra
On korokoro sendari matōgi sowaka

Access

Location
Onzanji Tani 40, Tano-cho, Komatsushima, Tokushima 773-0008
Tel
0885-33-1218
Parking
20 ordinary cars, 5 microbuses, 4 large cars (7am-5pm, free)
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

Proceed west from JR Minami-Komatsushima and turn left at the Hikainocho intersection. Go south on Route 55. Follow the signs and turn right and follow the directions.
⇒ Google map

Rurizan Shinpukuin Idoji

Temple 17

【Pilgrim’s Song】
In the water of the well look for your face
If tied, the chest grows red

Well of shadow

In the legendary well dug by Daishi, if you look down and look at yourself, you will be safe from illness and disease. No calamity will befall you for three years. * Image 1

Time limit

A stone statue of the master can be found, also called ”water master”. It is said that there will be benefits if you visit only 5 days to 7 days. * Image 2

History and origin of idoji

In the latter half of the 7th century, a new and fresh Japanese culture was created, statues were made, and priests were coming to Awa. Joining the priests, Emperor Tenmu (reigning 673-86) built the Imperial hall, and the named the temple “Idoji” at that time. The temple area is widely spread across Hachimachi, and there is a magnificent grounds that boasts 12 temples in addition to Shichido Temple. The main shrine is a statue of the Seven Buddhas of Yakushi Nyorai, whose main deity is the seated Yakushinyorai. Later, when Kobo Daishi visited to worship at these places in 815, the sixth year of the Kōnin era on the wall was enshrined an eleven-sided Kannon statue with a height of about 1.9 meters. This statue has a water bottle with a khakkhara (Buddhist ringed staff) cane in the right hand and a lotus flower in the left hand, and is currently designated as an important cultural property of the country. Daishi also pitied that the village was suffering from water shortages and muddy water, and when he dug a well with his Khakkhara cane, a spring came up from the earth overnight. Therefore, the neighborhood was named “Idomura” and the temple name was changed to “Idoji”.

However, the history of temples after the North and South Dynasties changed drastically. First, in the year of Sadaharu (1362), Dou was burned down by Yokoyuki Hosokawa’s war, and then in the tenth year of Tensho (1582), there was a disaster in the battle between Osamu Miyoshi and Motochika Sosobe. The main hall was rebuilt in the Edo period in 1661. The Seven Buddha Yakushi Nyorai, which is rare throughout the whole country, the Seven Great Misfortunes, the Seven Great Fortunes, and belief in good luck are all features of Idoji.

The highlights of idoji

Famous well, Daikyuu Daishi, Niomon (the gate that the Awa young lord Shigeki Hachisuka relocated from Otani villa and donated.)

Annual events at Iidoji

Right shadow
Date: March 21 of the lunar calendar
Goma ritual
Date: 28th of every month

Temple 17 Fudasho: Rurizan Shinpukuin Idoji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhism Zenzenji
Honzon
Nanabutsu Yakushi Nyorai
Pioneer
Emperor Tenmu
Founding
Hakuho period (673)
Mantra
On korokoro sendari matōgi sowaka

Access

Location
Kitayashiki-80-1 Kokufucho Ido, Tokushima, Tokushima 779-3118
Tel
088-642-1324
Parking
Ordinary 30 cars, 5 microbuses, 5 large cars (7am-5pm)
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Aizumi Interchange, take Route 1 to Kuramotocho and turn right at the intersection of NTT Tokushima Nishi Sales Office Chikaku. Turn left following the sign at about 2km ahead. There is also a route guide.
⇒ Google map

Kouyouzan Senjyuin Kannonji

Temple 16

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Do not forget the guidance of Kannonji
To the Pure Land of Maitreya to the west

Jizo cry in the night

子供の夜泣きを止めてくれる地蔵尊で、子供の病気平癒、健康と成長を祈願する。ご利益をあずかったお礼にと、何枚ものよだれかけが奉納される。※画像1

Ema

There is a dedication that depicts a woman wrapped in flames, and is displayed in the main hall. This is a true story of the pilgrimage that occurred in the Meiji period. * Image 2

History and origin of Kannonji

There is one volume of “Kannonji Engi” which is a treasure given to the temple. At the end of the book, there is an inscription of “Minamikaidō Awa kuni Meitō-gun Kan’onji Koyasan Senden-in Kannonji Engii”, and it can be seen that the monk of Koyasan had copied it in 1725. Kannon-ji was founded by Kobo Daishi, and the master himself carved the Senju Kannon statue to remain in the main sanctuary. The history of the temple is described in detail, such as the statue of the Fudo Myo who makes the devil surrender, the enshrined Bishamon statue of the provincial state, and the cooperation of the Tokushima lord Hachisuka Tsunanori for restoration and rebuilding. Apart from this “Engi”, in the temple biography, reports that Emperor Shoumu (reigned 724 to 49) founded temples called “Kokubunji” as national temples in 68 locations nationwide in 1913, he installed Gyoki Bosatsu as a principle deity. It is considered to be a long-established ancient temple. Kobo Daishi visited this area around 816, Kōnin era year 7, when he sculpted and revived the form of the statue and established the current temple name.

After that, like many of the sacred sites in other parts of Awa, the fate of prosperity and decline continued, and suffered from “Tensho’s fire” (1573-92), It was rebuilt by an apprentice priest in 1659, following the support of the Hachisuka family, and is said to have been maintained in its present form. In the 2nd year of the Taisho era, a blind person, Inosuke Takamatsu, who was brought along by his parents, regained his sight with the benefit of the principle deity, and there are stories of people leaving their crutches behind here as well. The Japanese-style multi-story bell tower gate facing the pilgrimage road has a dignified personality, leaving an indelible impression of remnants of the past.

The highlights of Kannonji

Night Crying Jizo / Ema / Tenguhisa (Ningyo Joruri puppeteer name. Kokufu Town produces many puppeteers)

Temple 16 Fudasho: Kouyouzan Senjyuin Kanonji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Senju Kanzeon
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
741
Mantra
On basara tarama kiriku sawaka

Access

Location
49-2 Kannonji, Kokufucho, Tokushima, Tokushima 779-3123
Tel
088-642-2375
Parking
Normal 6-7 cars, 1 microbus (7 am-5pm, free)
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Aizumi Interchange, take Prefectural Road 1 to Tokushima City. When you join National Highway 192, there is a sign indicating that you are driving towards Ishiicho. Follow that road to Prefectural Road 123.
⇒ Google map

Yakuouzan Konjikiin Kokubunji

Temple 15

【Pilgrim’s Song】
You do not dye the color because it is thin and dark
Autumn maple leaves

Garden

The nationally designated (2000) scenic garden is composed of a dry pond garden on the east side of the main hall and a built-up style dry mountain water garden with stones on the four sides. It is one of the best gardens in Japan with a dramatic stone structure that was renovated in the late Edo period. (Admission fee 300 yen) * Image 1

Main Hall

Built in a multi-layered main building, it was reconstructed during the Bunka and Bunsei years (1804-30). Emperor Shoumu and Empress Kōmyō are enshrined. (Currently under renovation work, scheduled to be completed in March 2020) * Image 2

History and origin of Kokubunji

There are Kokubunji temples in Shikoku in each of the four prefectures, and the first national temple is Awa Kokubunji. Emperor Shoumu (reigned 724 to 49), who revered Buddhism, prayed for peace in the nation, the fertility of five grains, united religion by ensuring that national temples (Kokubunji), by edict were set up in 68 places nationwide, and worked on the improvement of local culture. Nara and Todaiji Temples are also said to be Kokubunji Temples. According to Engi, it is said that Awa Kokubunji Temple received the statue of Shaka Nyorai from the Emperor Shoumu and the “Daihan Nyakyou” (The Great Perfection of Wisdom Sutra), and that the main temple was dedicated to Empress Gwangmyeong. Opened by Gyoki Bodhisattva, He himself carved the Yakushi Nyorai and regarded it as the principle deity. At the beginning, the temple was with the Hoso sect belonging to the same Nanto school as Horyu-ji, Yakushi-ji and Kofuku-ji in Nara . The foundation stone of the tower has been excavated from this temple area, and it is designated as a historic site in Tokushima Prefecture.

When Kobo Daishi was on pilgrimage during the Genroku period (810-24) he opened this Shikoku Sacred Site, and changed the sect to Shingon. Later, the temple was reduced to ashes during the Tensho War, and the sacred grounds were considerably degraded, as can be seen from Jakumoto’s Shikoku Reijoki (Genroku 2 = 1689). The temple was rebuilt in the first year of Kanpo (1741) by Gowa Hayami Kakuro, the magistrate of Awa Clan, and the temple now belongs to the Sōtō Zen sect. It is a Sōtō Zen sect temple. The former glory still extends from the archeological site.

The highlights of Kokubunji

Garden / Main Hall

Temple 15 Fudasho Yakuouzan Konjikiin Kokubunji

Denomination
Sōtō sect
Honzon
Yakushi Nyorai
Pioneer
Gyoki
Founding
741
Mantra
On korokoro sendari matōgi sowaka

Access

Location
Kokufucho Yano 718-1 Tokushima, Tokushima 779-3126
Tel
088-642-0525
Parking
10 ordinary cars, 1 microbus (exception) Large cars are not allowed to enter and parking is not possible 7:00 am-5:00 pm Free
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Aizumi Interchange, take Prefectural Road 1 to Tokushima City. When you join National Highway 192, there is a sign indicating that you are driving towards Ishiicho. Follow that road to Prefectural Road 123.
⇒ Google map

Oogurizan Kezouin Dainichiji

Temple13

【Pilgrim’s Song】
What is this Awa no Kuni Ichinomiya?
Ask the world of this world

Protection from Dementia Kannon

Shinokuin, Kokuchu-ji, about 0.7 km to the east, is known for prayers to the elderly.

Kannon of Joy

Two stone pillars stand in front of the gate. As you climb several stone steps, the main hall on your left and the Daishido on the right are facing each other. The “Watered Jizou” and Kannon statue watch over the worshipers who come and go between the main hall and Daishido.
In the center of the ground, there is a “spirit” tree. The image of “Kannon of Joy” is very eye-catching. She is holding a lotus and smiles in her hands. * Image 2

History and origin of Dainichi-ji

There are five sacred places in Tokushima City. Located on the plains west across the Ayukuro River in the westernmost part, the other side of the prefectural road where the traffic is intense is Ichinomiya Shrine, which was once the great Shinto guardian of Awa was found. According to Engi, the foundation was made possible through Kobo Daishi, and during the day when the priest practiced the ritual practices in this land it was called “Daishi ga Mori,” Dainichi Nyorai flew with purple clouds in the air, saying, “This land is a spiritual one ” The Daishi is said to have sculpted the statue of the Dainichi Nyorai and made it a principle deity, and built and enshrined it. The origin of the temple name is also due to this luck. The grounds are covered with old trees and have the atmosphere of a Buddhist temple, but during the Sengoku period, all the towers were damaged by the “Tensho Wars”. Later, in the first half of the Edo period, when the main hall was rebuilt by Awa’s third-generation lord, Mitsutaka Hachisuka, and the nation’s great Shinto guardian Ichinomiya was erected in the same location, it was in the same grounds as the Betsuto-ji and was also managed together.

However, the main Buddha of Ichinomiya is considered to be the eleven-faced Kannon image of Gyoki Bodhisattva, and because it was in the same grounds, it came to be that the Ichinomiya Shrine was a fudasho and worshiped as such in the Edo period. This is also described in the true book Shikoku Kushiro Doinan (Sadayoshi 4th year, 1687). Later, the shrine became independent during the Meiji era due to the Buddhist separation order, and Ichinomiya Temple changed its name to that of Dainichiji, but the statue of Dainichi Nyorai originally in this temple became that of Buddha, and the eleven-faced Kannon statue was enshrined as the main deity within. ”Buddha and the god of Shinto” are united in the Japanese mind. Pilgrims on the pilgrimage keep walking in the heart of the master.

Highlights of Dainichi Temple

Protection from Dementia Kannon, Okunoin, Kenji-ji, Kannon of Joy (a 100-year-old tree on the side of a giant tree, a small, colorful Kannon image with a palm.

Temple 13 Fudasho: Oogurizan Kezouin Dainichiji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhism Daikakuji School
Honzon
Eleven-faced Kanzeon Bodhisattva
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Hirohito 6th year (815)
Mantra
On maka kyaronikya sowaka

Access

Location
Nishicho-263 Ichinomiyacho, Tokushima, 779-3132
Tel
088-644-0069
Parking
15 for regular cars, 10 for microbuses, 8 for large cars, free
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
Yes (150 people)
Website
http://dai13.jp/
Socialmedia
facebook

From Aizumi Interchange, take Prefectural Road 1 to Tokushima City, merge with National Highway 192 and drive toward Ishiicho.
⇒ Google map

Shoukakuzan Botaiin Horinji

Temple 9

【Pilgrim’s Song】
The Great Wheel of Buddhism turns over and over
We live on its edge

Main hall

The Buddha statue of Nirvana, the principal Buddha, depicts the coming of the Buddha’s death. The figure is called “Northwest facing head”, and lies with the head facing north and the face facing west. It is the figure that became the origin of Kitakurama. At the time of his own death, he was preaching the teachings of impermanence. After the death of the Buddha, the teachings came from three countries and eventually led to Kobo Daishi Kukai. “All beings have Buddha within” We can all become the Buddha. The Shikoku Henro Pilgrimage is a practice of giving water to the seeds of Buddha which each of us possesses. * Image 1

Straw sandal amulet

In the past, when people who could not walk without crutches came to worship, it was reported that their feet became lighter in the middle of their approach, and that they were completely cured so that they could walk without crutches. Many straw sandals are dedicated to the main hall. Supplications for the lower body, with the words “Ashikoshi onegai warabi” (“Prayer for lower body straw sandals”) , are at the administration office.

History and origin of Horinji Temple

In the old days, it was called “Shirohebisan Horinji” (White Snake Horinji Temple) and is said to have been distinguished for its magnificent temples in the “Houchikei Valley”, 4 km north of the current location. The cornerstones and burnt earth remain, and this is a ruin that was burned down by Chosokabe Motochika during the war of the Tenshō era year 10 (1582). According to Engi, in Kōnin era year 6, Kobo Daishi found a white snake when he was on pilgrimage in this region. The white snake is said to be a messenger of the Buddha, so the master is said to have carved a statue of Buddha and opened the temple with the principle deity. The Buddha statue is the Buddha of Nirvana and is a figure of a fox sleeping on the northern placed pillow with his face facing west, and on the right side are two Japanese stewartia trees, white and withered. Around him are arhats and animals mourning his passing. The statue is also enshrined. The hidden images are opened once every few years and the next is scheduled for February 15, 2020.

It was relocated to its current location and reconstructed during the Shōhō era (1644-48). It was changed. However, it has been changed again in 1859, in year 6 of the Ansei era. It was reported that when the villagers were practicing the Joruri play (a kind of puppet theatre with shamisen), a fire broke out from the hall, and only the bell tower was burnt down. The current temple tower was rebuilt in the Meiji period. The temple treasure is said to be “Kobo Daishi imperial garments”. In 1882, 15th year of the Meiji era, the Emperor Meiji gifted these to Horinji Temple by the changing of clothes that was customary at the Koyasan Okunoin.

The highlights of Horinji Temple

Straw sandal amulet dedicated to the main hall

Annual events at Horinji Temple

Principal Deity in the Honzon
Date: Once every few years

Temple 9 Fudansho Shoukakuzan Bodaiin Horinji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Nirvana Buddha
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Hirohito 6th year (815)
Mantra
Nōmaku sanmanda bodanan baku

Access

Location
Donari-cho Donari Aza Tanaka 198-2 Awa, Tokushima 771-1506
Tel
088-695-2080
Parking
Normal 50 cars, or 30 microbuses, or 10 large cars, free
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From the Donari Interchange, take National Route 318 toward Kamojima and follow Prefectural Route 12 toward Wakimachi. A sign will appear, so you can reach it by following the road.
⇒ Google map

Onsenzan Rurikouin Anrakuji

Temple 6

【Pilgrim’s Song】
The battle of knowledge in the world of Kari
Look for protection from the Land of Ease

Two Story Pagoda

The interior holds expressions of the Pure Land with richly colored Buddhist paintings and sculptures. There are 88 places where you can walk around.

Sakamatsu

In the Daishido, there is a “Sakamatsu”, an exorcism for planting by hand for Daishi, which is said to have protected him from a hunter’s bow and arrow when Kobo Daishi was 42 years old (a year of calamity for men that age).

History and origin of Anrakuji

“Shikoku Sacred Site” (16th year of Genroku = 1689) says, “There is no time for everyone to look at the divinization of the medical king, to prosper in the temple, to touch the 12 gates, and to stop the bells from cracking.” In the old days, temple areas were dotted from the foot of the Mt. Asan to the present location, and it has come to the present after the warring period of fire and the Meiji Restoration decree.

Here Hikino has had a hot spring for a long time, Anrakuji is an old site where the benefits of hot springs were handed down by Kobo Daishi, and the mountain number was considered a hot spring mountain. (The hot springs are still present in the front of the Daishido.)

In the Momoyama period, Awa Sogo and Hachisuka Iemasa made it a “Post Road Temple” and set up facilities for Shikoku Henro Pilgrimage, traveler accommodations, tea, and baths. The record “Post Road Temple Document” (Keicho 3rd year = 1598) still remains, and the Shukubo has a 400-year history. During the Hansei period, a snow cave with the family crest of the Hachisuka family was allowed on the mountain gate, and on the temple grounds it was forbidden to kill. The length of thatched roof was donated by Hachisuka 250 years ago, and is a simple but elegant wooden structure.

Mizutani Shizu (49 years old at the time) of Onishi City, Aichi Prefecture, was bedridden due to an intractable spinal disease. The chief priest of this temple recommended the Shikoku pilgrimage with the wife, to her husband, Shigeji who suffered in his sickbed,. They made a pilgrimage journey. However, miraculously, Shizu-san’s intractable disease healed during the pilgrimage. The current image of the priest and Yakushi Nyorai is dedicated to the marvel, and an image of the ancient priest of about 43 centimeters is enshrined within. It is now around 1963. In Anrakuji Temple, sixty Buddha statues carved from this unknown period by the great Kyoto Buddhist master, Akiyoshi Matsumoto (starting from 1945), who have styles in keeping with Unkei (Buddhist sculptor) (1148-1224) and Kaikei (Kamakura era artist) and are enshrined in each temple. These include the statues of Kobo Daishi in the Daishido, Aizen Myou, and Fudo Myou. Also, the Garbhadhatu Mandala; Womb Realm Mandala, the Vajradhatu Mandala; Diamond Realm Mandala. On a stone wall are five holy writings. These are called the various writings of Kobou Daishi.

The highlights of Anrakuji

The statues the Nio gate, the Kyoto Great Buddha made by Akiyoshi Matsumoto. The main shrine in front of the main hall has a carved deity of Kobo Daishi. Two-story pagoda. Sakamatsu pine. 400 year old Shukubo. There is a natural hot spring public bath. called “Onsen Mountain”, and it is popular with pilgrims.)

Annual events at Anrakuji

Attainment of Buddhahood Ceremony (Ritual for connecting with Buddha: ◎ Reservation required)
Date: 2nd Sunday of January (planned)
Teaching class (Study session to learn the teachings of Kobo Daishi and Buddhism: ◎ Reservation required)
Date: late January (5 days, 4 nights)
Great festival (bon festival dance hunter offering)
Date: August 20
Star Festival Goma Ceremony
Date: December 31-February 3

Temple 6 Fudasho Onsenzan Rurikouin Anrakuji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Yakushi Nyorai
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Hirohito 6th year (815)
Mantra
On korokoro sendari matōgi sowaka

Access

Location
8 Tonoshima, Kitano, Kamiita-cho, Itano-gun
Tel
088-694-2046
Parking
Regular 80 cars, 10 large buses, free
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
Yes (300 people, hot spring available)
Website
http://www.shikoku6.or.jp/
Socialmedia
instagram
  • By foot: Jizo-ji-Post office-Kamiyabashi-Tanigawa-Bashi-Kojiya station ruins-Matsushima Shrine-Takeshigebashi-Anrakuji 1 hour 10 minutes 4.7km
  • Public transportation: 5 minutes on foot south from Jizo-ji Temple 15 minutes on board for Tokushima Bus Blacksmith Hara from “Rakan” 7 minutes on foot to “Higashihara”
  • Car: Turn right at the Tonosei Interchange Exit, turn right at the next traffic light, and go east on Prefectural Road 139 to the right and you will be on the right

⇒ Google map