Tenyozan Kanonin Houjuji

Temple 62

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Later it comes from the round well
From Shiratsubo to the Imperial palace

Statue of Kobo Daishi

In the spring of Meiji 26 (1893), it was dedicated by Tokiwazu Shikio Tayuu and others of Nagoya. * Image 1

Eleven-faced Kannon

In March, 1923, it was dedicated by local people as guardian for women, national peace, fulfillment of various oblations, and protection for the safe delivery of children. * Image 2

History and origin of Houjuji

In ancient times of Houjuji Temple is that it was considered as the Bodaiji Temple of the Iyo Mishima Navy, and as a separate temple of the Oyama Gion Shrine, it was in glory developing as a temple that brought riches and longevity.
According to Engi, at the time of the Tenpyō era, Emperor Shoumu (reigned 724 to 49) built an Ichinomiya in each province. At that time, the Ichinomiya Shrine of Iyo was established in the area to worship the three gods, such as the great lord Ogami, and a monk of the Yamato priest, Doji (? -744), a royal decree was given and the separate branch temple was established as a training grounds. Is said to be the beginning. At this time, the emperor was dedicated to the “Golden Light Sutra”, and the temple name was “Kongohoji”, not the current location, but rather the lower part of the Nakayama River called Shiratsubo (the Nakayama River is about 1 km north of the current location, around its northern shore).
Kobo Daishi visited this area during the Daidō era (806-10), and spent a long time at a temple, carving an eleven-faced Kanzeon Bosatsu statue in the shape of Empress Komei, the princess of Emperor Shoumu. This was regarded as the main temple, and the temple name was changed to “Hojuji”.
Also, Ochi, who was a provincial governor at the time, had a wife who was suffering from difficulty in childbirth, so he asked the Daishi to pray, and the Daishi prayed to the principle deity, miraculous water (which does not exist) performed a healing incantation. It is said that a son was born, like a ball, without incident, and the faith in Kannon-sama made it so. However, due to the repeated flood damage of the Nakayama River, the temple was rebuilt in 1145, second year of the Ten’yō era, and the name of the mountain was changed to “Ten’yō Mountain”.
Later, it flourished as a prosperous temple of the Oyama Gion Shrine, but was destroyed in the 13th year of the Tenshō era (1585) by the damage of Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s conquest of Shikoku, but was only near the present location of the new grounds in the 13th year of the Kan’ei era (1636). Was rebuilt and repatriated, so the pilgrims made their prayers at a shrine in Shiratsubo, and then made their prayers at this temple. The shrine has now been relocated beside this temple to avoid flooding in the 7th year of the Enpō era (1679), by order of the daimyo (feudal lord).
In addition, the temple was separated from the shrine due to the the abolition of Buddhism in the early Meiji era, and the temple became an abandoned temple. It was relocated to the current location further south due to the construction of the Yosan Line railway.

Highlights of Houjuji

Founder of the revival: Kanei 13 (1636) Relocated to the present location and revived by the apprentice of the Shikoku pilgrimage and apprentice. Signpost: The left hand at the entrance to the mountain gate, the one built by the spirit in front of Soetsu, was relocated and preserved at the Ehime Prefectural Museum of History and Culture. The signpost on which Nakabe Mohei made the 254th pilgrimage is on the side of the mountain gate.

Temple 62 Fudasho: Tenyozan Kanonin Hojuji

Denomination
Shingon sect alone
Honzon
Eleven-faced Kanzeon Bodhisattva
Pioneer
Emperor Shobu
Founding
Tenpyō era (729-49)
Mantra
On maka kyaronikya sowaka

Access

Location
Komatsucho Shinyashiki-ko 428, Saijo, Ehime 799-1101
Tel
0898-72-2210
Parking
Large cars (2 cars)
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

⇒ Google map

Kumanozan Kokuzoin Ishiteji

Temple 51

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Looking for the West, you can see Annyōji
Worship and receive the ten great pleasures

“Fall down seven, get up eight” power stones

*Image1

Everyone together in Buddha

*Image2

History and origin of Ishiteji

Near Dogo Onsen, the oldest in Japan. The approach to the shrine becomes a corridor, and there are souvenir shops in Nakamise. The precinct is a sacred place where there are more local Daishi followers and tourists than pilgrims.
Another factor is that most of the shrines in the precincts are spectacular, designated as a national treasure and an important cultural property of the country, and have a treasure hall that constantly displays temple treasures. These are temples of great cultural property and value. First, let’s touch one part briefly. The national treasure is Niomon, 7m high, the front is 3m, 4m wide, In the second year of the Bunpō era (1318), a two-layered main building with a tiled room. Important cultural properties include the main hall, the three-storied pagoda, the bell tower, the five-story tower, the “Kariteimoten” Temple, the Gomado, and the oldest copper in Ehime Prefecture, which is marked with the name “Kenchō era 3rd year” (1251). There is an ancient copper gong.

According to Engi, in the 5th year of the Jinki era (728), an Iyo nobleman, Jun Ochi, saw the advent of Twenty-Fiveth Century in Reimu, and realized that this place was a sacred place, and enshrined the 12 gods of Kumano. In the meantime, the national dojo was erected as made from a petition of Emperor Shoumu (reign 724-49). The next year, the first year of the Tenpyō era, Gyoki Bodhisattva carved a statue of Yakushi Nyorai, enshrined at the main god, and placed it in the Honzon. It was the Hosso sect of Buddhism’s temple, named “Annyōji”.
The name was changed to “Ishiteji” according to the narrative of the return of Saburo Emon in 892, the fourth year of the Kanpyō era.
It has a personality of the Kamakura period, and is a famous name that conveys the modern arrangement of three-dimensional mandala styles. There is evidence that the predecessor of Ishiteji was built on the basis of a manor of the Nara and Horyuji temples around 680 (Hakuho period) as evidenced in the tiles excavated from the grounds.

Ishiteji highlights

Emperor Marin Tenryo, Graffiti Hall, Sariishi (aka “The Bridge Not Crossed” in front of the gate. A text is engraved on the back.) Amida Hall (left side after entering the Niomon Gate) Many prayers to prevent dementia.)

Temple 51 Fudasho: Kumanozan Kokuzoin Ishiteji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhist Toyoyama School
Honzon
Yakushi Nyorai
Pioneer
Gyoki
Founding
Tenpyō era, year 1 (729)
Mantra
On korokoro sendari matōgi sowaka

Access

Location
Ishite 2-9-21 Matsuyama, Ehime 790-0852
Tel
089-977-0870
Parking
Yes
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
http://nehan.net/

From Matsuyama Interchange, take Route 33 to Matsuyama city. Turn right at Tianshan intersection and enter the loop line. Enter National Route 317. Turn left at the first intersection and you will see it in front.
⇒ Google map

Mikkyozan Taizoin Kichijyoji

Temple 63

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Strike the evil spirit in your body
Pray for the omens of good fortune

Celestial Maiden Pass for Good Omens

To the right of the welcoming Daishi is the statue of Kisshō Tennyo, the princess and principle deity Bishamonten. This is the name of the temple. As a Buddha of Heaven who removes all poverty and brings great wealth, she has gathered great devotion. It is said that there is are benefits if you pass under this statue “Kuguri Tennyo”, and she is popular with many people under the name of “Kichijou Tennyo” (as “kichi” can mean “luck”). This elegant standing figure is impressive. * Image 1

Fulfillment Stone

It is a stone about 1m in height to the right of the hand basin. There is a hole with a diameter of 30-40cm below the center. * Image 2

History and origin of Kichijoji

In the Shikoku Pilgrimage, Kichijoji is the only place where the principle deity is Bishamonten.
Kobo Daishi visited this region during the first year of the Kōnin era, and at that time, Daishi found a cypress that radiated light, and felt that the whole area was full of spirit. Daishi sculpted the statue of Bishamonten, for the main sanctuary, with this sacred tree, and also engraved and enshrined the Kichijōten statue and the Zennishidōji statues as flanking deities, and built temple to pray for relief from poverty.
The temple at that time was in Mt. Sakamoto, southeast of the present location, and had about 21 sub-temples in this large temple area. However, all was burned down in 1585, the 13th year of the Tenshō era, due to the attack by Hideyoshi Toyotomi. Later, in 1659, the 2nd year of the Manji era, during the Edo period, it was reported that it was merged with Sugi-ji Temple, and moved to its current location, and rebuilt.

There is “Maria Kannon Statue” (secret) as a temple treasure. It is a beautiful white sculpture with a height of about 30cm. It comes from the captain of a Spanish ship which was wrecked off of Tosa was given to Motochika Chōsokabe. He did not know it was the image of Maria, or the strict prohibitions against Christianity, but handed it down as a beautiful Kannon statue like Kichijoten for generations. Having escaped damage throughout the ages, the temple also preserves the “Twelve Devas” folding screen from the Kamakura period (1185-1333) and the “Amitabha Triad of Yamakoshi Statue” (colored on paper) from the Muromachi period (1333-1573).

The highlights of Kichijoji

  • Bishamonten (“Tanten,” which is the northern part of the four heavenly kings, is worshiped as a Buddha of world interest
  • Fulfillment stone (A stone about 1m in height to the right of the hand basin with a hole of 30-40cm in diameter below the center.
  • Kikuri Kichijoten (It is said that if you pass, you will get rid of your poverty and receive a wealthy treasure.)

Annual events at Kichijoji

Bishamonten first ceremonies (Goma offering)
Date: January 3
Flower Festival (Amacha entertainment)
Date: Old April 8

Temple 63 Fudasho: Mikkyozan Taizoin Kichijyoji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhism Toji School
Honzon
Bishamonten
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Kōnin era (810-824)
Mantra
On beishiramandaya sowaka

Access

Location
1048 Himi Otsu, Saijo, Ehime 793-0072
Tel
0897-57-8863
Parking
None * There is a pay parking lot nearby.
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None
Social Media
instagram

From Iyo-Komatsu Interchange, take National Route 11 towards Saijo City, on the left just after the Himi-Komae intersection.
⇒ Google map

Ishizuchisan Konjikiin Maegamiji

Temple 64

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Before the god is Buddha’s paradise
Taking away all the guilt of sin

Ascetic Daishi

* Image 1

Waterfall Fudouson

On the right after crossing the Pure Land Bridge in the right back of Daishido. In the past, training under the waterfall was performed. Image 2

History and origin of Margamiji

It is a sacred place at the foot of Mt. Ishizuchi (altitude 1982m), one of the seven sacred mountains in Japan that is worshiped as a mountain for mountain worship, and is the head temple of the Shingon sect of Buddhism.

In the beginning, during Emperor Tenmu’s reign (673-86), The founder of Shugendō (Japanese mountain asceticism incorporating Shinto and Buddhist concepts) Ozunu, when he finished performing ascetic rituals on Mt. Ishizuchi, both Sakyamuni and Amida appeared to him in the form of Zaō Gongen to relieve the suffering of the people. He was moved by the fact that they had appeared and enshrined them by engraving a statue. Later, Emperor Kanmu (reign 781 to 806) prayed for and received healing for illness, and established a seven structure temple, and at his order was granted the name “Konjikiin / Maegamiji”. Since then, Emperor Buntoku, Emperor Takakura, Emperor Gotoba, Emperor Juntoku, and others, became deeply religious.

Later, Kukai (Kōbō Daishi) is also known to have visited Ishizuchiyama twice and studied the laws of Akasagarbha (bodhisattva), Goma training and fasting training, among others.

In the Edo period, the temple luck was thriving and became a place of prayer for Lord Saijo of the Matsudaira family, giving the three-leaved temple crest, etc. . It was reconstructed as Maegamiji in 1882, year 22 of the Meiji era, and the temples were handed down as the Shingon sect headquarters.

The annual “Opening of the Mountains” is from July 1st, is a gathering time with the lay people in white robes, chanting “Nanmaida” to the sound of conch shells.

The highlights of Margamiji

Gongen-sama fair, Mitake Yokoba Fudoson (right back of Daishido, right of Jodo Bridge, once trained in waterfalls), Okunoin, Okuzenjinji (in the middle of Mt. You can visit during the mountain opening period.)

Annual events at Margamiji

Revision meeting
Date: January 1 to 3 at the main hall (①9: 00-11: 00 ②13: 00-15: 00)
Setsubunkai (Star Festival)
The date and time: February 3rd (13: 00- Opening and fortune casting of Shigeru Daigo Makoto, Gongen-sama)
Kanbutsukai (Flower Festival)
The date and time: May (7: 00-17: 00 Amacha is available in front of the Shukubo entrance)
Osunafumi
Date: May (9: 00-16: 00 at the main hall)
Natsuyama training
The date and time: June 30 (7: 00- Shiba-lanto Daigo)
Natsuyama training application
The date and time: February 3 (12:30-Shibanato Daigo-no-Makoto, Gongen-sama will be opened and fortune casting)
Revision meeting
The date and time: December 31 23:45-Night of the night bell (Gongen-sama’s bill is awarded) Goma-don (Fudodo), Gongen-sama opening book (Gongen-do)

Temple 64 Fudasho: Ishizuchisan Konjikiin Maegamiji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhism
Honzon
Amida Nyorai
Pioneer
Executive Officer Kokaku
Founding
Late 7th century
Mantra
On amirita teisei kara un

Access

Location
1426 Sonouchiko, Saijo City, Ehime Prefecture 793-0053
Tel
0897-56-6995
Parking
Available (free)
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None/dd>

Website
None

From Iyo-Komatsu Interchange, take National Route 11 toward Saijo City. Turn right at the 100m point of Ishizuchiyama Station signal and go straight ahead.
⇒ Google map

Yureizan Jisonin Sankakuji

Temple 65

【Pilgrim’s Song】
When in misery at the place of three corners
Pray that mercy and compassion come to the heart

Triangle pond

There is a triangular island in the pond, around a few dozen meters around, and a small hall where Benzaiten (goddess of music) is enshrined. * Image 1

Yakushido

It is said that this place can cure warts and corns on feet. The warts fall like a pine cones. For corns on the feet, dedicate a votive picture of an octopus and pray for relief. The octopus suckers will remove the corns from feet. * Image 2

The history and origin of Sankakuji

When the poet Issa Kobayashi of the Edo period visited in the 7th year of the Kansei era, (1795), he said, “This is the only way to climb a mountain. Mountain sakura.” Yamauchi is a famous place full of cherry blossoms that are 3,400 years old. This is the last sacred place in Iyo, at an altitude of about 360m.
According to Engi, it is reported that Gyoki Bodhisattva founded the temple to emulate the Maitreya Pure Land at the imperial request of Emperor Shoumu (reigned 724 to 49). After that, Kobo Daishi visited in 815, in the 6th year of Kōnin era, and carved a statue of the eleven-faced Kannon. In addition, the Daishi also engraved with the statue of King Fudou Myou, and built a triangular “homa-mandala” (fire altar), and was trained in the “Secret Law of Goma” ritual for 21 days in prayer for national security and the well-being of all. The remains of this homa-mandala survive as an island in the “Triangle Pond” between the residence and Yakushido, and it is the origin of the temple name. In addition, the Emperor Saga (reigned 809 to 23) received the deep religion, and 300 hectares of land was provided as temple grounds. It is said that the fortune of the seven structure temple grew and became prosperous.

However, the temple was damaged by the “Tensho Fires” of the Chosokabe army and burned down some of the buildings. The current main hall was rebuilt in 1849, the second year of the Kaei era, and was restored in 1971, the 46th year of the Shōwa era.
The Kannon in the Honzon has long been a source to ward off evil, and as the Kannon for ease in childbirth for those who seek faithfully. A talisman amulet and belly band are given, and it is said that a couple who is not blessed with a child receives a ladle at the temple and that if they eat together they will be blessed with children. After the child is safely delivered it is customary to prayerfully replace the ladle you were given with a new one.

The highlights of Sankuji

Triangular pond, Yakushido, Enzo Jizo statue (Rebuilt in 1977. 7m high copper)

Temple 65 Fudasho: Yureizan Jisonin Sankakuji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Eleven-faced Kanzeonen (by Kobo Daishi)
Pioneer
Gyoki
Founding
Tenpyō era (729-749)
Mantra
On maka kyaronikya sowaka

Access

Location
Kanadacho Sankakuji-Ko 75, Shikoku Chuo, Ehime 799-0124
Tel
0896-56-3065
Parking
Yes
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

Enter National Route 192 from Mishima Kawanoe Interchange. Head toward Tokushima, turn right at about 200m and turn right for about 4km.
⇒ Google map

Higashiyama Rurikoin Hantaji

Temple 50

【Pilgrim’s Song】
However busy we need to pray
Pray and hope to heal all diseases

Statue of Nandikesvara

It is enshrined on the left side of the main hall. It is said that if you pray, you will be rewarded with richness, good luck, marital harmony, and prosperous business. * Image 1

Twenty-four Bell Tower ceiling paintings

Important Note: (TEXT IS SAME AS ABOVE) * Image 2

The history and origin of Hantaji

The temple is located on a hill with a panoramic view of Matsuyama Castle, the city of Matsuyama, and the Seto Inland Sea.
According to Engi, the Imperial Court of Emperor Koken (reign 749-58) Gyoki Bodhisattva carved a statue of Yakushi Nyorai and placed it there during the Tenpyō-Shōhō era. There is a theory that this became the temple name because its was given as a gift. During the Kōnin era
(810 ~ 24), Kobo Daishi traveled to the area and was settled in this temple.
After that, the temple declined, but it was revived with the help of the provincial governor, Minamoto Yoriyoshi, and the monk, Takaren. In the second year of the Kōan era (1279) under the edict of Emperor Gouda (reign from 1274 to 87), the monk prayed at this temple to repel the Mongolian army. In addition, when the founder of Tokisune, Ippen Shōnin (1239-89) returned to Iyo from Dazaifu in his youth, he attended an associated temple and trained. Shōnin dedicated the temple in the late 1st year of the Shōō era (1288), the “Jodo Sanbukyou” (Three major sutras of Pure Land Buddhism) , which was held by his late father and Buddha.

Furthermore, there is a deep connection with the Emperor’s family temple in Kyoto, and Sengyo-ji Temple. in 1395, the 2nd year of the Ōei era, Emperor Gokomatsu (reign 1382 to 1412) sent Sengakuji 26th and Kaohao Kazuo into prominent positions. He became the seventh priest of Hantaji. From the edge, the temple has tiles bearing coats of arms with 16 emblems. Some remain to this day.
Also, in the Edo period, following the Tokugawa family’s religion, the 4th shogun and family line enshrined the three Buddhas of Nandikesvara. The temple flourished.

The highlights of Sanji Temple

Tenjinjin, delightful celestial statue, 10,000 stone pillars (on the back side of the temple’s stone pillar in front of the mountain gate. A monument that fulfilled 10,000 pilgrimages.)

Annual events at Sanji Temple

Flower Festival (Amacha entertainment)
Date: April 8
Jizo Bon (Children’s Sumo Tournament)
Date: August 24
Delight
Date: 16th of every month
Delightful general youth prayer meeting
Date: January 16th, August 16th

Temple 50 Fudasho: Higashiyama Rurikoin Hantaji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhist Toyoyama School
Honzon
Yakushi Nyorai
Pioneer
Gyoki
Founding
Tenpira Katsuho Year (749-757)
Mantra
On korokoro sendari matōgi sowaka

Access

Location
Hataderamachi 32, Matsuyama, Ehime 790-0912
Tel
089-975-0910
Parking
Available (free)
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Matsuyama Interchange, take Route 33 to Matsuyama city. Turn right at Tianshan intersection and enter the loop line. Turn right at the first intersection beyond the Edamatsu intersection and run for about 1 km. Go further 600m beyond the bus stop Hataji and you will see it in front.
⇒ Google map

Sairinzan Sanzoin Jyodoji

Temple 49

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Leave the ten evil mystery as it is
Go to the Jodo temple

Statue of Kūya Shōnin

Nationally designated important cultural property. Image height 121.5cm, wooden, jade. Six Amida miniaturized Buddhas came from his mouth. * Image 1

Temple Graffiti

There is graffiti from the Muromachi era to the Edo era in miniature double doored shrine in the Hondo, a valuable historical historical material. * Image 2

The history and origin of Jodoji

At the entrance of the grounds is Masaoka Shiki’s phrase “Shimotsuki no Kūya wa hone ni iki ni keru” (Kūya of Shimotuski can survive on bones). (The poem suggests that even should Kūya be gone, his teachings remain with us). Jodo-ji is a temple where the figure of Kūya Shōnin (903-72) remains. Thin and with a bent back, wearing deer skin, striking a gong with his staff, the words “Namu Amida Buddha” that he speaks appears as small Buddhas that come out of his mouth. It is the incarnation of Buddha who repaired the road, built the bridge, dug the well and saved the people, cremated the abandoned dead in Hirono, he is the monk that chanted for Amida Buddha.
Jodo-ji Temple, which enshrines this statue of Kūya Shōnin in the main hall, According to Engi, Empress of Tenpyo Shoho years this is the imperial temple for the emperor Koken Emperor (represented 749-58) Buddha statue carved by Gyoki Bosatsu (668-749) It was a pioneering work and it was a temple of the Hoso sect. Later, Kobo Daishi visited this temple, revived the ruined cathedral, and converted it to Shingon sect. At that time, the temple luck prospered, and the area of the temple spread eight cho in all directions, with about 66 Buddhist temples.

Kūya Shōnin traveled around Shikoku and stayed at Jodo-ji Temple in the middle of the Heian period. During the three years of the Tentoku era period (957-61), he worked to educate villagers and became familiar with them. In the 3rd year of construction in the Kamakura period (1192), Yoritomo Minamoto prayed for the prosperity of the family and restored the temple tower. However, it was burned down in the 23rd year of the Ōei era (1416), and was rebuilt by the lord, Kounou Dousen in the Bunmei era (1469-87).
The main hall and the inner sanctum were built at the time, and they were dismantled and repaired in 1965, but the simple and majestic building that is a mixture of Japanese and Tang is designated as an important cultural property of the country.

The highlights of Jyodoji

Statue of Sayaya, Graffiti, Sanzoin (The founder of the Jodo Buddhism, Hojin Senjo, I, Seiko Kyojin, II, Ryotada Shojin) It is burnt down at the temple where it is opened and closed.)

Temple 49 Fudasho: Sairinzan Sanzouin Jyodoji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhist Toyoyama School
Honzon
Shakyaku Nyorai
Pioneer
Keimei
Founding
Tenpyō-shōhō era (749-757)
Mantra
Nōmaku sanmanda bodanan baku

Access

Location
Takanokomachi 1198, Matsuyama, Ehime 790-0925
Tel
089-975-1730
Parking
Available * Normal 20 cars, 4 buses Paid
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Matsuyama Interchange, take Route 33 to Matsuyama city. Turn right at Tianshan intersection and enter the loop line. Turn right at Edamatsu Intersection and follow Route 40 towards Kawauchi. After about 3km, turn left and you will see the front.
⇒ Google map

Kyogozan Senjyuin Unpenji

Temple 66

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Come to the temple on the banks of the clouds
From the foot of the mountain see the moon and sun

500 Arhat Statues

The life-size 500 Arhat statue, Buddha’s apprentices, are enshrined throughout the grounds, watching over those who visit. * Image 1

National Important Cultural Property

The principle deities of worship, The Seated Senju Kannon, Statue of Fudou Myou, Bishamonten, illustrations in silk of the coming of Buddha at the time of death (Raigō).
* Image 2 is the Seated Senju Kannonza statue

History and origin of Unpenji

The highest altitude of 911 meters in the Shikoku Sacred Site, near the summit of the Shikoku Mountains. Currently, it is possible to climb from the foot to the summit station or travel by ropeway. The address of the grounds is in Tokushima Prefecture, but as a sacred place, Sekijo-ji it is the beginning of Sanuki. According to Engi, Kobo Daishi climbed Unpenji three times. The first was in the 8th year of the Enryaku era, when Daishi was 16 years old, looking for building materials for Zentsuji Temple (No. 75). This is the founding of Unpenji. The second time, when he was 34 years old in the second year of the Daidō era (807), he had a treasure from China and received a secret training “Himitsu Kanjou”. In addition, in the ninth year of the Daidō era (818, Daishi 45 years old), he ascended at the behest of Emperor Saga (reigned 809-23), carved the main deity, and delivered the bones of the Buddha and the teachings of Vairocana (Buddhist stone), and in the mountain a memorial service for the seven Buddhas was performed it was set as a sacred place

The Sacred Grounds are commonly called “Shikokubo” and became a dojo for the study and training of monks who came from various countries to Shikoku and prospered as “Shikoku Takano”. In the first year of the Jōgan era (859-77), it became the temple built at the imperial order of of Emperor Seiwa (reigned 858-76). During the Kamakura period, the seven structured temple was also maintained, and it was said that it was the gateway to Awa, Iyo, and Iki as an old temple with 12 monks and 8 branch temples in the grounds. In the Tensho period (1573-92), Tosa’s great family, Motochika Sosoube camped at the white castle of this area and worships at Unpenji, looked down from the mountain, and planned for the domination of all Shikoku. At that time he was admonished by the high priest. Although the history of Unpenji has its fate, since the Edo period, it has received generous protection from the Awa feudal lord, Hachisuka. Surrounded by thousand of old cedars, they protect the light of Buddhism while surrounded by clouds.

The highlights of Unpenji

Kyogou, National Important Cultural Property, Unpenji Urayama Question and Answer (Question and Answer between Chosokabe Motochika and Toshitaka Sumiyo).
Bishamonten Observatory (You can enjoy a 360-degree view of the four seasons of Mount Unbeji.)

Temple 66 Fudasho: Kyogozan Senjyuin Unpenji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhism Omuro
Honzon
Senju Kanzeonen (Chinese work)
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
8th year of the Enryaku era (789)
Mantra
On basara tarama kiriku

Access

Location
Ikeda-cho Hakuchi Norouchi 763, Miyoshi, Tokushima 778-5251
Tel
0883-74-0066
Parking
Yes
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Onohara Interchange, take National Route 11 and Prefectural Road 8 toward Takamatsu City. Follow the ropeway sign and follow the mountain road to arrive at the Unbeji Ropeway platform.
⇒ Google map

Seiryuzan Anyoin Sairinji

Temple 48

【Pilgrim’s Song】
If you want to visit the world of Amitabha
Visit the temple of the western forest

Fortune Jizou

A garden in front of the Nokyojo. Jizou who gives happiness when you visit, only one wish will be granted. * Image 1

Bamboo of Filial Piety

In front of Enma-do. A bamboo where parent and child bamboo grow unseparated, and are worshiped as a symbol of family well-being. * Image 2

History and origin of Sairinji

There is a stream in front of the temple, and clean water flows. In front of the gate is Shiki Masaoka’s stone-engraved haiku, which is carved with “Autumn wind, Takai’s sea bream with “teiregi””. (This is a lamentation of the poet as he laid sick in bed in Tokyo longing for the taste of home.) “Teregi” is a water herb used for sashimi), and this is a natural monument of Matsuyama City.
According to Engi, Emperor Shoumu (reign 724-49) in the 13th year of the Tenpyō era, gave an Imperial petition to Gyōgi Bosatsu who entered Iyo and built the temple as an Ichinomiya branch temple with provincial governor Ochi Tamazumi. The place is now known as “Tokui no Sato” around Ono Harimazuka, Matsuyama City. The eleven-faced Kannon Bodhisattva statue was sculpted and enshrined in the main hall. In 807, Kobo Daishi stayed at this temple when he was on pilgrimage through the sacred sites of Shikoku. Here, Daishi talked with the government priest, Mitsuhiko Ochi Sanekatsu, and moved the temple to its current place to redefined it as a Shikoku sacred place, and it became a temple to pray for national security.

Around this time, the village was suffering from a drought, and Kobo Daishi thrust his staff into the earth and found a water vein nearby, thus saving the villagers. The “Staff of Deep Water” is 300 meters southwest of the temple is said to be an archeological site, and the water has not dried up and still irrigates the land. It was also selected as one of the nation’s top 100 famous water sources in 1985, the 60th year of the Shōwa era.
During the Edo and Kanei years (1624-44), the tower was destroyed by fire. In 1700, (Genroku era, year 13) some of the reconstructed parts were rebuilt by various officials such as Ikimori Matsudaira, the elders, and the magistrates. And in 1707 (Hōei era, year 4), with resurgence and adherence to the law, prayers for rain were answered, and the main hall and bell tower were rebuilt, and at the end of Edo, the reconstructed Daishido and Niomon were realized. The current Daishido was rebuilt in 2008.

The highlights of Sairinji

Fukusa Jizo, Takayuki Bamboo, and Tera Treasure (“Shikoku Unbiased”. Precious as the oldest Shikoku pilgrimage picture, published in 1363. In addition, “Shikoku Reijo” (Meiji 24, 1891) Are also valuable materials.)

Temple 48 Fudasho: Seiryuuzan Anyouin Sairinji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhist Toyoyama School
Honzon
Eleven-faced Kannon
Pioneer
Gyoki
Founding
Tenpyō era, year 13, 741
Mantra
On maka kyaronikya sowaka

Access

Location
Takaimachi 1007,Matsuyama, Ehime 791-1111
Tel
089-975-0319
Parking
Available (free)
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Matsuyama Interchange, take Route 33 towards Tobe. Turn left at the Morimatsu intersection, turn left at the Morimatsu bus terminal, and turn left at the intersection at the end of the Kanenokuma Park. Go straight and you will see your right hand.
⇒ Google map

Komatsuozan Fudoukoin Daikoji

Temple 67

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Oh! look at plants of Komatsuoji
Wind blows to the teaching of Buddhist Law

Main Hall:”7th Day Votives to Buddha”

A red candle is lit in the main hall for 7 days for prayers. There are benefits such as healing of illness, safe delivery of children, and goodwill with others. * Image 1

Niomon

The majestic statues of the Deva Kings of the gate are said to be bring the great favour of Buddha. * Image 2

History and origin of Daikoji

Locally, the name of this temple is “Komatsuoji”, which is named after the mountain, rather than Daikoji, and is popular, and a nearby village is called “Komatsuo”.
According to Engi, it was built about 1 km northwest of the Todaiji Sue-ji Temple for the protection of the kami of the three main shrines of Kumano in 742, the 11th year of the Enryaku era, (792). In the 13th year of the Kōnin era, (823) it was reported to have been rebuilt by the imperial decree of the most virtuous Emperor of Saga. However, at the end of the Sengoku period, everything was destroyed by the fires of Motochika Sosokabe. The temple was rebuilt again in the Keichō era (1596-1615), but again burned down, and the main hall was once more erected in 1741, the first year of the Kanpō era..

The present Daikoji temple is a Shingon Buddhism temple, but it has a rare history that Shingon Tendai two Buddhist sects were enshrined in the same temple grounds. For that reason, the influence of Tendai Sect is so great that the Kobo Daishido is on the left side of the main hall. And on the right side, there is a remnant of the Tendai Daishido, which is dedicated to Tendai Buddhism. In addition, the flanking deities are Fudou Myou and Bishamonten, but Fudou Myou is in the Tendai style.
The following five items are designated as cultural assets in Kagawa Prefecture. One is a statue of a seated Yakushi Nyorai, which is 84 centimeters in height, of the late Heian period, made of hinoki cypress, lacquered, by the legendary Kobo Daishi. The Tendai Daishi seated statue, dating to the second half of the Kamakura period (1276), is painted with Japanese cypress wood and is 77.4 cm high. There are very few statues of the Tendai Daishi. Recent studies revealed that the Kobo Daishi sitting statue was the same as the Tendai Daishi sitting statue in the second year of the Kenji era. Designated as a cultural property. It is the oldest statue of Kobo Daishi in Shikoku. Two majestic statues of the Deva Kings at the Niomon are said to have been created by Unkei, a famous Buddhist priest, and have a height of 314 cm. They are early works of the Kamakura era, and the largest of all 88 Sacred Sites of the Shikoku Pilgrimage. “Daikoji”, marked on a plaque with the 4th year of the Bun’ei era (1267)

The highlights of Daikoji

Main Hall’s “Seventh Day Dawn”, Niomon Gate, Saddle Pass

Temple 67 Fudasho: Komatsuozan Fudokoin Daikoji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhism Zenzenji
Honzon
Yakushi Nyorai (by Daishi)
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Tenpyō era year 14 (742)
Mantra
On korokoro sendari matōgi sowaka

Access

Location
Yamamoto-cho Tsuji 4209, Mitoyo, Kagawa 768-0101
Tel
0875-63-2341
Parking
Available (free)
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
http://www.jit-net.biz/data/komatsuoji/index.html

From Onohara Interchange, head towards Takamatsu City via National Route 11, Prefectural Route 240, National Route 377, and enter Yamamoto-cho from Kannonji City. Turn left at the Daikoji sign and go straight to the right.
⇒ Google map