Marozan Shoujyuin Shozanji

Temple 12

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Incredible Shozanji in the future
Even in death and misery

Three-sided black sky

The center is Daikokuten (god of wealth), the right side is Bishamonten (guardian of Buddhism), and the left side is Benzaiten (goddess of music, wealth, and water). Located in the hall on the left side of the main hall. * Image 1

Ceder Cane Hermitage

A temple built on the ground where Saburo Emon, a founder in the Shikoku Henro, is said to have met his end. An extraordinary sacred place about 1.6 km down the road from the grounds. * Image 2

History and origin of Shozanji

Located near the 8th station of Shozanji (938 meters above sea level), it is the second highest mountain temple of the Shikoku Sacred Sites. The view of the mountains of Shikoku Mountains, such as Kenzan and the Shikoku Pilgrimage has several fudasho called “Henro Falling”, which means that the path is dangerous and easy to fall down from. One of which is Shozanji Temple. There is a road now to the top of the mountain. According to Engi, the beginning of the temple is that priests opened up the mountains during the Asuka era and enshrined Zao Gongen. However, there was a magical serpent on this mountain, often spitting fire and attacking crops and villagers. Around the 6th year of the Kōnin era, when Kobo Daishi visited this area, he had a dream where Amitabha, a place where he rested in Ipponsugi, appeared. When he woke up, there was a sea of fire in front of him. Then, when he went up the mountain and after purifying myself in the Ketori River, the large snake blocked the whole mountain as a sea of fire. Daishi made a sign of “Wheel of Water”, and proceeded while chanting, but the snake retreated to a cave near the summit.

The Daishi prayed with all his heart and sealed it in a cave under the protection of the Akasagarbha bodhisattva. He prayed for the continued of the local homes, for the homes that were damaged, and for the harvest of five grains, he also enshrined the three-faced Daikokuten which he carved by himself. The mountain has become a “yake-yama”, which means “burnt” so the master named it “Shozanji”, which uses the same characters. The mountain name of “Maya” and the temple name of “Shozanji” are derived from such incredible legends, and in the latter part of the Kamakura period, they became the cradle power for Emperor Gojo (reign 138-39). The grounds are lined with hundreds of giant ancient cedar trees (prefectural natural monuments) and welcomes pilgrims.

The highlights of Shozanji

Sanzen Daikokuten, Tsumugi Sugi, Kamiyamacho (Tokushima Prefecture’s special products are Ume and Sudachi.)

Annual events at Shozanji

Sacred shadow
Date: Old March 21
Hidden law
Date: August 30
General young society
Date: Autumn gathering day

Temple 12 Fudasho Marozan Shoujyuin Shozanji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Kokuzo Bosatsu
Pioneer
EN no Ozunu
Founding
Kōnin era 6th year (815)
Mantra
Ubō, akyashya kyarabaya on arikya maribori sowaka

Access

Location
Kamiyama-cho Shimobun Aza Naka 318, Kamiyama-cho,Myozai-gun, Tokushima 771-3421
Tel
088-677-0112
Parking
70-80 cars for each model (ordinary car / 300 yen, wagon car / 500 yen, large car / 1,000 yen)
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
Yes (30 people, please make a reservation for Yamanoue)
Website
None

It is convenient to use prefectural road No. 20 via Ishii-cho via Route 192 from No. 11 Fujiidera.
⇒ Google map

Kongouzan Ichijyouin Fujiidera

Temple 11

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Fujiidera Temple, a color and incense
There is no day without the waves of Shinyo

Ancient Wisteria

After the Daishi prays for dispelling the plague
It is said that the wisteria was hand-planted, from late April
Five colors of wisteria bloom in early May.
(At the beginning of April photo season) * Image 1

Cloud Dragon Ceiling Painting

Main hall. A dragon of about 30 tatami mats created by a local painter in 1977. * Image 2

History and origin of Fujiidera

Shikoku’s largest, Yoshino River, 236 km long, flows through the northern part of Awa. Cross the Awa Chuo Bridge to the south, and you will see the gate of the 10th Sacred Site at the foot of about 3 kilometers. It is said that Koho Daishi, who was surrounded by mountains on three sides was attracted by the clean mountainousness of the mountain stream, and was able to learn the Goma ritual in this area in the 6th year of Kojin. Daishi was 42 years old. He sought remedy to his own troubles and sculpted a statue of Yakushi Nyorai in hopes of bringing well-being to the people. On the 8 tatami sized rocks, about 200 meters above the ground, a solid guardian tower, which is called the indestructible vajra, was built and the master subjected himself to 17 days of training. From the history of planting five colors of wisteria in front of hall, it was called the Indestructible Vajra Fujiidera Temple.

The temple flourished as a dojo of Shingon Buddhism and developed into a grand temple of a seven structure temple grounds. However, all the mountains were ravaged by the fires during the Tensho period (1573-92), and they fell into decline until the early Edo period. Later, the Nanzan Kokushi of the Rinzai sect, who had been devoted to the Awa lord in the Enpō era year 2, (1674), entered the mountain area and revived the temple, and the temple was changed to the Rinzai sect. In 1832, fire broke out again, and all the temples other than the main shrine were turned to ash. The current temple was rebuilt in 1860. The main deity is known as a “Protection from Evil Medicine Buddha” and is designated as an important cultural property of the country. From Fujii-ji Temple to the next, 12th temple, Shozanji,, there is a “Henro-do” that keeps the appearance of ancient times. This is a valuable path where the ruins, stone buddhas and stones that Kobo Daishi rested on during training are preserved.

The highlights of Fujiidera

Ancient wisteria, ceiling paintings of the Cloud Dragon, and pilgrimage path (up to the next 12th fudasho is about 13 km on a narrow mountain path. It is a difficult place of pilgrimage that is said to take 8 hours for men and 9 hours for women.)

Temple 11 Kongouzan Ichijyouin Fujiidera

Denomination
Rinzai Muneshinji School
Honzon
Yakushi Nyorai
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Hirohito 6th year (815)
Mantra
On korokoro sendari matōgi sowaka

Access

Location
Kamojima-cho Inoo 1525 Yoshinogawa, Tokushima 776-0033
Tel
0883-24-2384
Parking
There is a parking lot for Honya Fujiya in front of the gate. Inquiry phone: 0883-24-2907 Visiting time: 300 yen / 500 yen per day
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Donari Interchange, turn left on Route 318 to Kamojima, cross Awa Chuo Bridge and turn left at the end of Route 192. Turn right at the traffic light in front of Kamoshima Post Office and you will reach the road.
⇒ Google map

Tokudozan Kanjyouin Kirihataji

Temple 10

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Holding onto a single desire in Kirihataji
Hinders as you travel to the next world

From Mountain Foot to the Main Hall

About 800 meters. There are 333 steps of stone steps. * Image 1

Kirihataji Pagoda,

The space between Shouju and Nijuu is square, the only structural style of its kind in Japan. Toyotomi Hideyori was erected to honor Hideyoshi’s bodhi (enlightenment), and was relocated from Jinguji Temple, Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine, located in the foothills of Osaka in the Meiji era year 6 and took 10 years to complete. * Image 2

The history and origin of Kirihatajiji

The grounds on the hillside of Kirihataji. The view from the large tower, a nationally designated important cultural property, is wonderful, with the Yoshino River flowing slowly underneath and the magnificent mountains of the Shikoku Mountains in front. In olden times, there was a maiden who weaved cloth at this foot of the mountain. Kobo Daishi, who was in need of repairing his own clothing, wanted a piece of cloth to repair his broken vestment on the seventh day of his meditation. The maiden cut out the woven cloth without hesitation and offered it. The master was so impressed with this courtesy he asked, “What are you hoping for?” The maiden said, “My father was exiled from the capital, and my mother was pregnant, but if a boy was born, that child would be in danger. I prayed to Kannon to have a girl”, she said,” I wanted to become sanctified with Kannon on behalf of my deceased parents, and I would like to enter the Buddhist world and devote myself.”

The master was deeply impressed, and immediately sculpted the statue of Senju Kannon, so inspired by the maiden. The maiden immediately became a Buddha, and transformed into Senju Kannon, emitting seven colors of light from her body. The Daishi told this to the Emperor Saga, enshrined the Senju Kannon statue carved by the Emperor’s petition and carved another of himself, facing the south, and the Senju Kannon statue was immortalized in the north. It is reported that it was made the principle deity. The names of Tokudosan (entering the priesthood), Kanjou-in (baptism into buddhahood), and Kirihata Temple are also based on these reasons. Sakai is a town in the town of Monzen where pilgrimage equipment stores are lined up. Known as “a woman’s instant Buddhist temple”, it is popular with women who desire to be good women and to radiate like this maiden in seven colors.

The highlights of Kirihataji

From the foot of the mountain to the main hall ・ Kirihata Temple Tower (National Important Cultural Property) ・ Senju Kannon (a bronze statue of a maiden who instantly became a Buddha and turned into Kannon. She has scissors in her right hand and a long cloth in the left.)

Annual events at Kirihataji

  • Beginning of Spring Buddhist Service・・・March 21 (Midday)
  • Beginning of Autumn Buddhist Service・・・September 23 (Midday)
  • Eight Great Dragon Royal Palace Autumn Festival ・・・October (3rd Saturday)

Temple 10 Fudasho: Tokudozan Kanjyouin Kirihataji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Senju Kanzeon Bosatsu
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Year of Hirohito (810-824)
Mantra
On bazara tarama kiriku

Access

Location
Ichiba-cho Kirihata Aza Kannon 129, Awa, Tokushima 771-1623
Tel
0883-36-3010
Parking
20 cars in the precincts below (medium and large are not allowed) 7am-5pm Free
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

Turn left from the Donari Interchange and follow National Route 318 toward Kamojima. Proceed along Prefectural Route 12 (Naruto Ikeda Line) toward Market Town and turn right at Kiryu Substation. I will arrive.
⇒ Google map

Fumyouzan Shinkouin Kumadaniji

Temple 8

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Come to the temple of Kotori Water Kumadaniji
For entering the world-hereafter through penance

Daishido

At the top of 36 steps on the left side of the main hall. A prefecture-designated cultural property built in 1707.

Two Storied Pagoda

Established in 1774.Inside the center is the statue of Dainichi Nyorai The statue is enshrined in all directions.

The history and origin of Kumataniji Temple

It has the largest Niomon Gate in the Shikoku Sacred Sites. According to Engi, Kōbō Daishi was trained in the area of Kyogaya in the 6th year of Kōnin. At that time, the kami from Kumano of Kishu appeared and said, “Redemption will come to those on the last days.” He was given a gold statue of about 5.5 centimeters of gold and then left far away in the sky. It is reported that Daishi built a temple on the spot, carved a life-size Senju Kannon statue in the sacred tree himself, carved a statue of gold in its womb, and made it the principal deity. There is a guardhouse in the precincts, and the Kumano kami is enshrined. According to the book “Shikoku Jouki” in 1689, the second year of Genroku, “The precincts are clean, the valleys are deep, the waters are cool, and the southern sea can be seen. 126 Buddhist relics can be seen in the hair of the thousand-armed Kannon”, and the state of the grounds at that time can be seen.

There is also a theory that there had been fires several times before the Genroku era (1688-1704). However, in the fire of 1927 (Showa year 2), the main hall of Kobo Daishi’s work was burnt down along with the main hall. After that, the main temple was rebuilt in 1945 by the efforts of successive priests, but the construction was suspended in WWII. The aforementioned Niomon was built in 1687 and is a designated cultural property of Tokushima Prefecture. It is an eclectic style of Japanese and Tang, with a frontage of 9 meters and a height of 12.3 meters. The ceiling and pillars on the second floor are painted with a very colorful figure of a heavenly woman. The Kobo Daishi seated statue, enshrined in the Daishido, was created in the Muromachi period and is a cultural treasure as designated by the prefecture.

The highlights of Kumadaniji Temple

Daishido, Taho Tower, Bentenjima (Praying place for safe delivery next to the Nokyojou (adminstration office), with a taiko (drum) bridge)

Annual events at Kumaganiji Temple

Principle deity
Date: 18th of every month

Temple 8 Fudasho Fumyouzan Shinkouin Kumadaniji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Kanzeon
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Kōnin era 6th year (815)
Mantra
On basara tarama kiriku

Access

Location
Maeda-185 Donaricho Donari, Awa, Tokushima e 771-1506
Tel
088-695-2065
Parking
20 normal cars, microbuses, 6 large cars and 50 temporary parking lots are available.
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Donari Interchange, follow the prefectural road 139 toward Ichiba-cho. There is a sign for the temple. You can reach it by following the sign.
⇒ Google map

Koumyouzan Rengein Jyurakuji

Temple 7

【Pilgrim’s Song】
If we leave human suffering early,
We arrive to the nine stages Amitabha’s Pure Land and the ten pleasures within

Aizen Myoo

Here is the Buddha who has the power to change the excesses of the heart (lust and desire) into enlightenment and and lead to Bodhi (the place of enlightenment). There are four benefits in surrendering to this way: exorcism of bad spirits, prevention from disaster, increased prospects for marriage, and increased health. * Image 1

Medical Treatment for Eyes and Relief for the Aged

Next to Daishido stairs. The Jizo for eye-healing can be found since ancient times.

The history and origin of Jurakuji Temple

The temple is presumed to be in Dogahara, Jurakuji Valley, about 3 km north of the current location. It is reported that when Kobo Daishi visited and stayed in this area during the same year, he felt Amida Nyorai and carved a statue of Nyorai. At that time, Daishi is said to have given the temple the name of “Kōmeizan Jurakuji” for 10 hardships and also for shining pleasures in the unavoidable hardships of life, old age, illness, and death.

For some time after its founding, it boasted a vast seven-structured temple compound from the north of Awa. However, all the pagodas were destroyed in fire due to the attacks of Chosokabe Motochika in 1528. Fortunately, the priest said that the honzon of the time escaped the disaster. It was moved to its current location in 1635 and was rebuilt.

In 1994, a fine wooden main hall was erected. The “Eye Ailment Healing Jizo” was placed in front of the main hall is said to have been providing cures and treating people with eye disease and blindness since ancient times. Also, at the middle gate where Buddhist illumination can be found, Aizen Myou, who has governs both fortunate and unfortunate love, is enshrined, and there are many people visiting with supplications.

The highlights of Jurakuji

    Sanmon / Mizuko Jizo (in front of Sanmon) / Medical Treatment for Eyes and Relief for the Aged / Aizen Myoo

Temple 7 Fudasho Koumyouzan Rengein Jyurakuji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect (stand-alone)
Honzon
Nyorai (by Kobo Daishi)
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Daido (806-810)
Mantra
On amirita teisei kara un

Access

Location
58 Tonoshima, Takao, Hōjō-machi, Awa City, Tokushima Prefecture 771-1509
Tel
088-695-2150
Parking
20 ordinary cars, 5 large cars from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
Yes (70 people, private room)
Website
http://jyuurakuji.com/

From the Tosei Interchange, take the road along the highway towards Itano and you will see it on your lef
⇒ Google map

Mujinzan Shougonin Jizoji

Temple 5

【Pilgrim’s Song】
The great changing Jizou knows the ways of the six realms
Guides to the future world

500 arhat, achievers of Nirvana.

Life-sized Rakan statues with emotional expressions are displayed.
5 minutes on foot from the main hall, 2 minutes by car from Jizoji parking lot. Private parking. (Admission fee 200 yen) * Image 1

Suikinkutsu

Enter from the gate and left of the front entrance.
A clear tone sounds. * Image 2

History and origin of Jizoji

Kobo Daishi founded this temple in the 12th year of the Kōnin era, at the behest of Emperor Saga (reigned 809-23). The Daishi is said to have engraved a 5.5 centimeter image of the Warrior Jizo and enshrined it in the main shrine. After that, the Emperor’s family returned home for three generations: Emperor Junna (reign 823-33) and Emperor Nimmyou (reign 833-50).
It is also reported that Jokan Joji, who served as a mentor of Kii and gods of the three main Kumano shrines, engraved the statue of JIzo from the sacred tree, and enshrined the master’s work, Jizo within.
From the religion of Katsugun Jizo-san, warriors such as Minamoto No Yoritomo, Yoshitsune, and the Hachisuka family have made many donations. These donations expanded the temple territory, and it is said that at that time 300 temples were created in the three countries of Awa, Iki, and Iyo, and the number of towers increased to 26.

However, during the Tensho period (1573-92), the temple was burnt by Nagasokabe Motochika, all of these towers were turned to ashes. Since then, the temple has been improved and expanded with the efforts of successive priests, monks, and believers. Go through the approach to the left of the main hall, and go up the stone steps to Okunoin. This is Rakan-do. It was founded in 1775, the 4th year of the An’ei era and was called the 500 Arhat Hall. However, the area was destroyed by an accident with fire of a worshiper in the 4th year of the Taisho era, now about 200 life-size Rakan statues are lined up bearing various emotions. A large ginkgo tree on the grounds. The tree is over 800 years old, and history is engraved on the big mother tree.

The highlights of Jizoji

Warrior Jizo Statue, Awashimado, Suikokutsu

Annual events at Jizoji

Large Goma Fire Ritual
Date: First Sunday in March

Temple 5 Fudasho Mujinzan Shougonin Jizouji

Denomination
Shingon Buddhism Omuro
Honzon
Enzo Jizo Buddha in the womb and Warrior Jizo
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Hirohito 12 years (821)
Mantra
On kakakabi sanmaei sowaka

Access

Location
5 East Forests, Rahan, Itano-cho, Itano-gun, Tokushima Prefecture 779-0114
Tel
088-672-4111
Parking
50 ordinary cars, 20 microbuses, 10 large cars, free
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Aizumi Interchange, take Route 1 to Itano. Next, take prefectural road 12 to Itano / Kamiitacho. Turn right on the road that crosses prefectural road 34.
⇒ Google map

Kikouzan Shakain Konsenji

Temple 3

【Pilgrim’s Song】
I thought of treasure pond of paradise
Give praise to the golden fountain

Benkei's Stone Legend

On the way to Sanukikoku Yasima, Yoshitsune received an order to pursue the Heike and stopped at Konsenji and prayed for victory.
At that time, it is said that Benkei, the loyal retainer, came here with this boulder. * Image 1

Koubou Daishi Hall

* Image 2

The history and origin of Konsenji

It is reported that Gyoki Bosatsu built the temple tower by the imperial request of Emperor Emperor Shoumu (reign 724-49) and named it “Konkomyoji Temple”. At that time, the main Buddha was a statue of about 91 centimeters in height, and it was said that it was founded by enshrining the three statues of Amida Nyorai and Yakushi Nyorai on the side. When Kobo Daishi was traveling in Shikoku during the Kōnin era (810-24), he saw a villagers suffering from drought and dug a well there. The water that springs out from this well is a miraculous water, which is called the “golden well that brings longevity”, and the temple name “Konkomyoji Temple” has been changed to “Konsenji”. Later, Emperor Kameyama (reigned 1259-74) became a cloistered monk, and he was praised by Kobo Daishi and patrolled sites afflicted by spirits in various places, and stayed at Konsenji for a while.

In the meantime, a building that was modelled after the Sanjusangendo (Renkao-in) in Kyoto was erected, and 1,000 Senju Kannon (thousand armed) statues were enshrined within, and the mountain behind it was named “Kameyama”, also known as “Mitsuyama”. It is said that there was a storehouse for sutra in this building and it was bustling with school monks. Since then, the relationship with the imperial family has been deep, and the Imperial Palace of Emperor Chōkei (reigned 1368-83) is also behind the main hall. In addition, it is reported in the “Genpei Histories” that Yoshitsune stopped at Konsenji on the way to Yashima and prayed for victory. On the left side of the main hall, Bodhisattva Kannon is the place of prayer for Yoshitsune. In addition, the “Benkei-stone” is where one can test their strength. The Bodhisattva Kannon is where prayers are made for supplicants to grow up smoothly. Many visitors who wish to improve their lives gather here.

The highlights of Konsenji

  • “Shara” trees” (Stewartia pseudocamellia)・ “Kuma” bee (yellow jacket)

The third fudasho office, Kikouzan Shakain Konsenji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Shakyaku Nyorai
Pioneer
Gyoki
Founding
Tenpyō era (729-749)
Mantra
Nōmaku sanmanda bodanan baku

Access information

Location
66 Kameyamashita, Itera-cho, Itano-gun, Tonoshima, 779-0105, Tokushima Prefecture
tel
088-672-1087
Parking
Normal 14 cars, 3 large cars, all day, free
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Aizumi Interchange, take prefectural road 1 to Itanocho, then prefectural road 12 to Naruto City and prefectural road 1. As you are traveling, look for the sign and you follow the road.
⇒ Google map

Kokuganzan Henjyouin Dainichiji

Temple 4

【Pilgrim’s Song】
The long night of the mysterious white moon
A short dark sleeve in the black valley

Sakura Gate Bell

Located on the south side of the temple, is a two-layered bell tower gate with zelkova (red iron) coating. The roof is built with tiles, and the main building has a temple crest of Motoyama Toji. At the upper level, the temple bell at Maeyamamon (Bunkyuu Era 1861) was relocated.
(New reconstruction in AD 2018) * Image 1

Thirty-three West Kannon statue

Statues related to the 33 Kannon sacred places in the West are enshrined here. It was built around the time of Kansei Era, year 2 (1790) and made possible by donations not only by the temple but also by believers from all over western Japan. (End of Heisei period restoration) * Image 2

History and origin of Dainichi

On the gentle slope of the ridge at an altitude of around 70m above sea level from the Asan Mountains on the border between Tokushima and Kagawa Prefecture, the south side of the sacred site is located. In the year 815, Kobo Daishi sensed Dainichi Nyorai in this area, and it was called Dainichi Temple and he carved a statue of Daiichi Nyorai with the reverent process of praying three times before carving once. The statue is very small (1 eighth of the width of a thumb). In the 2nd year of the Saga Genroku era “Shikoku Henrei Sacred Sites” (Nenmoto 1631-1701), it was written that although the magnificent pagoda was built, it became ruined over the passage of time. After that, it was written in the 18th year of Awa History (1815) that a person named Matsuhoshi had a prophecy and repaired it in the years of the Ouei era (1394-1428). After that, it was devastated again. Tokushima’s second-generation owner, Tadahide Hachisuka, donated timber in 1649 and built the main hall, Ichiyu, until Tenwa era (1681) and Joukyou era (1688) The site is still being restored.
After the 5th year of the Genroku era, the 11th generation Lord Hachisuka Tsunanori repaired the temple in 1799. In addition, this area is surrounded by mountains on three sides and is called Kuroya, so it is sometimes called “Kuroyaji” by locals. The origin of the third cause, Mt. Kurosu, is also attributed to the current status. It is currently the end temple of Toji Temple in Kyoto, up until the 20th year of the Meiji era. Before that, it belonged to the Shingon Buddhism Omuro school. A temple crest with sixteen chrysanthemums can be seen on the monastery (house wall) tiles and at the open space at the entrance.

Highlights of Dainichi Temple

Seated wooden Dainichi Nyorai statue (height 56cm, seat depth 32.7cm)

Seated wooden Dainichi Nyorai statue (height 56cm, seat depth 32.7cm)
It is a deity that is usually guarded as a secret Buddha and has never been opened in the past.
It is believed that it was founded in 1407 as evidenced in ink markings behind the statue knee.

Dainichido (Main Hall)

The era of construction is 1649 according to the building’s ridgepole. Restoration to the all is found to the ridgepole, Keian era 11th year (1799). The design of the building is based on the Japanese style, but it is an eclectic style building with a mixture of Zen sect styles, such as poles and mirror ceilings. It is valuable as having the form of the Buddhist main hall, and the crest of the Hachisuka family (Maru ni 卍) is also seen in other places where you can see the height of such a formal style.

Kobo Daishido

Established in September 1863 (Bunkyuu era 3rd year) in Daishido preaching documents and temple biography, the style is considered from the end of the Edo period.

Blue-faced Kongo statue

The wooden blue-faced Kongo-son statue is enshrined in a “zushi” (miniature shrine with double doors to store holy items), and this zushi is shown to be a donation from a person of Tamba country (now part of central Kyoto) in 1812.

Maitreya statue

It was established in the Edo period as a memorial to the millionth reading of the Koumyou Shingon (Mantra of Light).

Temizuya “hamaguri mizu”

It is said that the wash basin made by hollowing out the sandstone of the Temizuya was dedicated in 1822. In the past, it used to draw spring water, but it was cloudy, so it was called “hamaguri mizu” (clam water/ sea water).

Hachiman Shrine

The existing ridges of the west side of the pond are believed to be the same as those described in the “Shikoku Henraku Tourist Association” of 1800.

Temple 4 Fudasho: Kokuganzan Henjyouin Dainichiji

Denomination
Toji Shingon sect
Honzon
Nyorai Dainichi (Denkoho Daishi)
Pioneer
Kobo Daishi
Founding
Kōnin era 6th year (815)
Mantra
On abiraunken bazara datoban

Access

Location
Hinoki Aza Dannnoue 12, Oasacho, Naruto, Tokushima 779-0225
Tel
088-689-1112
Parking
40 normal, 6 large, free
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
Yes (150 people)
Website
http://www.ca.pikara.ne.jp/gokurakuji/

From Aizumi Interchange, take Prefectural Road 1 and Prefectural Road 12 to Itano / Uesaka Town. Turn right on the road that crosses prefectural road 34. Go straight under the bypass and highway.
⇒ Google map

Nisshouzan Muryoujyuin Gokurakuji

Temple 2

【Pilgrim’s Song】
If you want to go to the pure land of Sukhavati
You must say, “Namu Amida Butsu” (Hail Amitabha Buddha)

Buddha’s foot stone

When Buddha preached on the stone, it is said that his footprint remains imbedded and is at the entrance of the main hall staircase. * Image 1

Prayers to Jizo

Located on the left hand side through Niomon Gate,
It is said that there will be a miraculous benefit if you chant Jizo’s mantra with devotion. * Image 2

The history and origin of Gokurakuji

It is said that Gyoki was the founder of the temple, (Kounin Era, year 6) but in 815, the 6th year of the Kōnin era, 42-year-old Kobo Daishi chanted “Amitabha Sutra” for 37 days and was trained. On the day of completion, Amida Nyorai appeared, and the Daishi sculpted the figure and made it the honzon (principle object of worship). The statue of Amida Nyorai is deeply revered, and it is said that the light emitted as far off as Nagahara in Naruto. The fishermen constructed a small hill in front of the main hall, called “Mt. Rizhao” to block the light because the brightness of the deity hindered fishing. After that, the temple was burned down by Chōsokabe Motochika during the Tensho period (1573-92), but in 1659, the main hall was rebuilt with the help of Mitsutaka Hachisuka.

In a quiet precinct surrounded by mountains on three sides, you can pass through the vermilion Niomon Gate and you will see a garden that resembles the paradise of The Pure Land. The main hall is in front with 44 stone steps. At the back to the right is Daishido, and this statue is also called “Ansan Daishi”. The priest prays for a women plague with miscarriages, and are instantly blessed with a treasure. An ancient cedar, which is considered to be hand-planted by Kobo Daishi himself, is a sacred tree that is about 1,200 years old, stands about 31 meters in height, and is about 6 meters in circumference. It is said that if you touch it, you will receive not only safety in your home but also relief from sickness as well as longevity. It is designated as a natural monument in Naruto City. It is marvellous to touch the giant cedar that has withstood the wind and snow since ancient times.

The highlights of Gokurakuji

Buddha foot stones, Jizo for smooth pregnancy

Annual events at Gokurakuji’s

Flower festival (Buddha’s birthday)
Date: New Year, April 8

Location: Gokurakuji precincts
Service for unborn children
The date and time: Midday on autumn equinox, 10:00 on September 23
Location: Gokurakuji precinct, Before the Jizo for the unborn
Nightlight bell
Date: December 31, 11:50 pm
Location: Gokurakuji temple grounds

The 2nd fudasho office, Nisshouzan Muryoujyuin Gokurakuji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Amida Nyorai (Denkobo Daishi)
Pioneer
Gyoki
Founding
Nara period (710-793)
Mantra
On amirita teisei kara un

Access

Location
Hinoki Aza Dannnoue 12, Oasacho, Naruto, Tokushima 779-0225
Tel
088-689-1112
Parking
40 normal, 6 large, free
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
Yes (150 people)
Website
http://www.ca.pikara.ne.jp/gokurakuji/

From Aizumi Interchange, take Prefectural Road 1 to Itanocho, then run Prefectural Road 12 to Naruto City.
⇒ Google map

Jikuwazan Ichijyouin Ryozenji

Temple 1

【Pilgrim’s Song】
Coming before Gautama Buddha at Ryozenji
The myriad sins of my life disappear

Matchmaking Kannon

The temple tower, which was burnt down during the Tensho period (1573-1592) by the attack of Chosokabe Motochika, fell to ruin for the second time after its reconstruction, leaving the treasure tower in 1891.

The Taho Pagoda, built in the Ouei Era (1394 to 1428), has a history of nearly 600 years and is famous for Gochi Nyorai. * Image 1

Two-Storied Pagoda

The Marriage Kannon is said to be beneficial not only for men and women, but also for various relationships where one is on the “edge of health”, “edge of work” and “edge of happiness”.

It is said that benefits can be obtained by praying while purifying with water, not just money.* Image 2

The history and origin of Ryozenji

The total length of the 88 sites in Shikoku is approximately 1460 km, 365 ri. This pilgrimage is for pilgrims who visit the sacred places in order of their bill office (fudasho) numbers is a long journey of “Temple of Appeal” and the theme of “Two Traveling Together”. According to the history, Gyōgi founded the temple on the request of Emperor Shoumu (reign 724-49). In 815, when Kobo Daishi journeyed clockwise from Tohoku to Shikoku, 88 people’s worldly desires were purified in this area. 37 days of training was done to establish the sacred place that could be used. At that time, many monks surrounded the old teacher who preached the Buddhist law, and were inspired to listen eagerly. The Daishi felt that the scene is similar to the scene that Buddha preached at the mausoleum of Tengu (India), and named it “Yowayama / Ryozanji” in the sense of transferring India’s sacred mountain to “Wako” (the term in ancient Chinese for “Japan”).

The Buddha statue at this time was that of Guatama Buddha, and it was reported that he was prayed to for the establishment and fulfillment of this sacred ground, as the “fudasho” in the Shikoku 88 sacred places, because it was established in front of the main shrine. The birth Buddha is a work made in the Hakuhou period, and is made of small copper with a height of about 14 cm. In the past, he was one of the three Awa Daibo and boasted a majestic monastery. However, in 1082 (Tensho era), the tower was burnt down by Motochika Chosokabe. After that, it was finally reconstructed by Awa lord, Mitsutaka Hachisuka, but in 1891, the main hall and pagoda and other buildings other than the Taho Tower were burned down again due to fire. Since then, it has been a 100-year effort, and what is now is mostly recent buildings. An exceptional head temple. The arrangement of the temples take advantage of the grounds and is unique and beautiful, adding vivid color to the pilgrimage.

The highlights of Ryozenji

Temple 1

It is important to be prepared for a long pilgrimage, and so as not to make trouble on the path and not to bother others. Especially in the first bill office (fudasho), it is important to prepare the heart.

Other

  • Two Story Pagoda (The statue of Gochi Nyorai is enshrined in the construction of the Ouei Era (1394-1428))
  • Meiji garden (on the north side of Daishido. It symbolizes the “Temple of Appeal” that begins the pilgrimage.)

Annual events at Ryozenji

New Year’s Goma Prayer
Date: January 1-3

Star Festival / Amulet Prayer
Date: February 3
“Settai” class
Date: February 21-last day
Shakyamuni Birthday, Aoba Festival, Flower Festival
Date: 1st Sunday in April
Daishi’s Birthday / Aoba Festival
Date: June 15
Goma memorial service
Date: 1st of every month
Mikage
Date: 21st of every month

Temple 4 Fudasho Jikuwasan Ichijyouin Ryozenji

Denomination
Koyasan Shingon sect
Honzon
Shaka Nyorai
Pioneer
Gyoki
Founding
Tenpyō era (729-749)
Mantra
Nōmaku sanmanda bodanan baku

Access

Location
126 Higashitsukahana, Oasacho, Naruto, Tokushima 779-0230
Tel
088-689-1111
Parking
normal size vehicles 100, bus 10-20, free
Shukubo
(TempleLodging)
None
Website
None

From Aizumi Interchange, take Prefectural Road 1 to Itanocho, then take the Prefectural Road 12 to Naruto City.
⇒ Google map